Jeff Abrahamson on Thu, 30 Jan 2003 07:10:34 -0500

[PLUG] firewall risk

All the discussion about firewalls aside, if a machine is running no
services available to the outside world, how can an attacker break in?

That is, suppose I make the naive argument that I only run sshd on
port 22, so all other ports get denied anyway by dint of having
nothing listening (not even inetd). Why bother with ip tables beyond
masquerading?

(I'm pretty sure this is wrong, I just don't know why.)

--
 Jeff