Tobias DiPasquale on Thu, 30 Jan 2003 07:50:30 -0500

Re: [PLUG] firewall risk

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 06:50, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> All the discussion about firewalls aside, if a machine is running no
> services available to the outside world, how can an attacker break in?
>
> That is, suppose I make the naive argument that I only run sshd on
> port 22, so all other ports get denied anyway by dint of having
> nothing listening (not even inetd). Why bother with ip tables beyond
> masquerading?

The firewall would be of no help in that situation, other than to only
allow traffic from specific places to connect to ssh. Exploits for
vulnerabilities in whatever sshd you're running, if they came from an
acceptable location, would be just as effective as if you weren't
running iptables.

The firewall is the outer layer in the onion approach to security. It
allows you to better mitigate DoS attacks by refusing traffic from
offending hosts/network blocks.  iptables is stateful, so it remembers
information about a session and therefore better allows the sysadmin to
determine when an attack is occuring than its predecessor, ipchains.

However, as we've seen many times in the past at big places, if you're
running one service and only that one service (a big Webserver, or a
database server, etc), and the machine is accessible, then it only
matters how up to date the patches are on that machine. In that
situation, a firewall can only help you after you've already been
attacked, but it might help you determine an attack has occured more
efficiently than if you weren't running one.

--
Tobias DiPasquale
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036