gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:21:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Moving a lot of user accounts

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 10:36:35AM -0500, Jason Wertz wrote:
> Is it possible to just copy the old lines out of the /etc/passwd &
> /etc/shadow for the users and paste them into the files on the new box
> (I'm guessing the answer to that is no) or do I actually need to run
> useradd and recreate each account again from scratch?

No, the right way to do it is simply to add the new box to your NIS
or LDAP domain and have the user accounts already there and
functional using their home directories from your network-wide NFS
server. :^>

Failing that, make sure that the uids don't conflict with any in the
password file on the new system, then chop exactly the same number
of lines off /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow from the old system and
drop them on the same files in the new system. The correlation
between passwd and shadow is if the userNAMES match up (note that
there's no uid field in shadow, as distinct from BSD's /etc/passwd
and /etc/master.passwd files). They shouldn't even have to be in the
same order, though you'll freak fewer people down the line out if
you keep them in the same order.

Or, if you don't want deal with two files, run pwunconv(8), copy
just (and all of it, just overwriting a pwunconv'ed passwd on the
new system), unless the system accounts differ in important ways)
passwd, and then run pwconv(8) on the new system. (Read the relevant
man pages for details.)

> Also, in reference to some of the emails about Dell. Their server
> products work very well with stock RH installs and I haven't had any
> real complaints.

Then you're not trying to put any real bandwidth (read, gigabit)
across the Broadcom Tigon3 chipset they use in their PE 26x0 line.
It sucks, trust me.

> They seem to use all commodity hardware and nothing too
> bleeding edge, but then again maybe RH is doing all the work to function
> on Dell hardware and not the other way around.

Commodity, yes, but also bleeding edge in terms of video. Granted, I
don't care on the server where I always skip the X configuration,
but they'll changed what video card is actually in a given
workstation model repeatedly during that model's life time.

Even the old OptiPlex GX1 I use has some stupidities, particularly
involving the BIOS. I've got a SCSI card, but the disk that's spare
and around is IDE, and I need some more space. So I go to hook up
some of it. Nope, nothing. Go into the BIOS and find that there are
two settings for built-in IDE bus: "AUTO" and "OFF". "AUTO" means,
"If we detect another mass storage card in a PCI slot, we'll turn
the IDE off." Gee, thanks. Video card works the same way (slap an
extra PCI video card in, and the on-board one doesn't work, which
means I need *two* PCI slots occupied for Xinerama with two monitors),
and that doesn't even *have* a config fob in the BIOS.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net