gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:30:31 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Moving a lot of user accounts

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 11:08:41AM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Or, if you don't want deal with two files, run pwunconv(8), copy
> just (and all of it, just overwriting a pwunconv'ed passwd on the
> new system), unless the system accounts differ in important ways)
> passwd, and then run pwconv(8) on the new system. (Read the relevant
> man pages for details.)

... and Sean's post reminds me: if you just accepted RH's defaults
on useradd before and created a group for every user (had fun
figuring out why SSH keys wouldn't work, didn't you?), then you need
the /etc/group file too.

I forget that particular default because it's so far out in left
field when it comes to any production environment that a -g users
doesn't even require thought for me any more on useradd.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net