Wayne Dawson on Mon, 3 Feb 2003 07:03:04 -0500

[PLUG] internal web app over VPN

Hi. I am working on a project that will connect two offices via VPN. There will be a database back end in one of the offices with a database front end in each office (several users in each office; with two different front end designs, one design for each office).

The database itself will be PostgreSQL running on Red Hat 8.0, but all the client machines will probably be running WindowsXP. We have been planning on using web browsers for the user interface (probably served from Apache/PHP on a Red Hat 8.0 machine located in the same office with the DB server), but we can use C++ if it will make a big difference. We can certainly use JavaScript or even Java applets, or maybe XML, or whatever else makes sense.

My questions relate to the VPN slowing down the application.
- Will having web traffic going over the VPN significantly slow down the application?
- What is the best way to minimize how much the VPN slows down the application?

We want to avoid having a web server in the remote office (the one remote from where the database back end resides).

I would much appreciate any insights or information sources anybody here can give.

Thanks,
Wayne Dawson