Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:45:16 -0500

RE: [PLUG] "Friends don't let friends use Dell"

> > Of course if we were running debian, we would have it installed all
> > ready via apt. It would have taken me less than 5 minutes of work to get
> > this installed on all 10 or my client boxes. :)
>
> How about using apt-rpm, then?

That's my plan.

The problem w/ rpms isn't that the packaging suck, but rather the
community is not there, not as many people run apt servers. And I saw
nobody running their own up2date server, please correct me if I'm wrong. I
know there are two projects to reverse engineer up2date, but few people
are deploying this.

If the rpms for rh7.2 existed for gcc-3.2 (they do exist for rm-8.0), then
I would have dropped them into my own apt-rpm repository, and I wouldn't
be writing this. However, they don't and rpms don't mix n' match across
distro releases as well as debs do.

A few days in rpm, finally culminating in hosing glibc6 just so I could
use the latest java w/ an older version of mandrake is what drove me to
using debian for my personal use a few years back.

Hey, I _like_ trying to roll rpms for the wrong distro, I just don't think
that it's an efficient use of my time when there are better ways to do
this. Also, I like to discuss compilation and as you know, I really love
to complain.

Fred Ollinger