Kevin Brosius on Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:56:14 -0500

Re: [PLUG] X screen resolution

Presently you can't do it on mode switch.  XFree86 uses your biggest
size, or a Virtual size, if you configure one, as the screen region.
The +/- keys just let you zoom into that region.

If you want a smaller virtual size, you'll need to remove the larger
sizes from the config and restart X.  You can also specify the smaller
virtual size directly.  I think that will cause the larger modes to be
thrown away.