Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:48:23 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Moving a lot of user accounts

> > I disagree. The right solution to that problem is file access
> > control lists, which can be managed by the users entirely without
>
> Well, we'll have to agree to disagree, then.  ACLs don't work the same
> across OSs, or across filesystems.  And in general, most SAs wouldn't
> know a filesystem ACL if they tripped over one.  They are not obvious
> in most situations like file permissions.

There are trouble w/ acls, but this is the wave of the future. I think we
all need to get used to them just like we need to get used to ipv6.

Solaris has had acls. Superficially, the syntax seems similar to linux.
I'm sure they will standardize in syntax. As far as fs support goes,
linux doesn't support writable ufs so acls incompatabilities aren't a big
deal.

As for sysadmins not knowing how to use them, that's an embarrassment for
them to deal with. I'll just spend a little time learning how to use them
so when time comes for my boss to tell me to set them up, I'll be able to
do it.

> Heheheh, I would love to work where you work.  I'd like to meet a user
> who understands ACL's well enough to use them.
>
> Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I hope I haven't offended
> anyone here, but UPGs are something that I believe in.  I don't think
> they fit in every environment.  I do feel they are very effective on
> boxes in similar situations to what I described above, and warrant
> consideration in most schemes.

I'm not offended. I think that acls are the answer. Most users I have
spoken to who care about acls know how to do themin windows.

<rumour>
I have heard that samba is going to support acls from linux as soon as
it's ready in ext2/3.
</rumour>

I'm sure that gnome and kde will add acls to their file managers as soon
as ext2/3 has them.

As I have said before, I have had acls in linux for over a year eventhough
I didn't know about it for most of the year. It took me about 15 minutes
to learn how to use them. I still don't totally understand them, but the
manpages and tutorials will make this as easy as it was to setup apache.

Fred Ollinger