William H. Magill on Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:37:14 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Laptop Recommendations

On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 10:42 AM, Edward M. Corrado wrote:
I really think you want an iBook :-) The LUG I am president of
(LUG/IP - Linux Users Group/In Princeton (NJ)) has about 5 people with
them and we all love 'em.

Seriously, I'd recommend one if you didn't need to run XP, but since you
said you do, check out Emperor Linux (www.emperorlinux.net). They sell
"big-name" lap tops with Linux installed. They may cost you a few extra
bucks (to cover their free one year support that I have heard people rave
about) then if you bought them elsewhere. Of course, if you don't want to
pay the extra funds, you could check out their web site to see what they
are selling, and you can see what you can get Linux to run on. I have no
personal experience with them, but they seem to know what they are doing.

The new Powerbook is even better -- just run XP under Virtual PC for whatever applications you need. The kinds of things that you need a REAL XP box for (like lots of serial ports) don't exist on laptops anyway.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com