Walt Mankowski on Tue, 04 Feb 2003 19:50:30 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Perl question

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 06:27:59PM -0500, epike@isinet.com wrote:
> not exactly a perl solution but you can
> probably do better with using ssh pubkey
> authentication so as to avoid password
> prompt.
>
> the idea is to store your private key
> on your local server, and store
> the private key on the remote server---no
> passwords required (and actually safer).

If you want to see how to do it in Perl, look for the question "How do
I ask the user for a password?" in perlfaq8.  However, I agree with
epike that it's probably better to just use the authentication
facilities already built into ssh.

> also rsync is another good option (rsync -e ssh)

Umm, since that's still using ssh, it doesn't get around the problem
of passwords... :)

Walt