Paul on Wed, 5 Feb 2003 00:18:16 -0500

Re: [PLUG] videocam

Firewire would definately be better for video. I don't know about Firewire support in Linux. USB support is there.

I tried using a cheap USB webcam and found the quality to be unacceptable. I got better results with a video capture card and a real camcorder, even though the camcorder is aged. I also heard that two streaming USBs cameras use too much bandwitdh on the USB bus. Not likely with Firewire.

Digital makes sense if your interfacing with a computer since you would otherwise need to convert to digital anyway.

jeff wrote:

I'm contemplating the purchase of a videocam and wanted to check in with
people who know better than I do about connectivity and performance.

I like lots of ins and outs but what does linux like?  Is it ok with usb
for video?  Is firewire an improvement that would make it a good idea to
get an add-in card for it?  Are they generally linux-friendly?

My application would be occasionally dumping video to the hd to edit and
compile.  Not thinking about DVD yet - only have cd.  I have done
dumping of analog video to pc and editing.

And for the cam folks, is there a point to digital over analog?