William H. Magill on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:10:35 -0500

Re: [PLUG] favicon

On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 04:28 PM, Paul wrote:
This is straight off of one of my Web sites.

<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="http://reddragoncanoeclub.org/favicon.ico";>

Maybe your path should be "./" instead of just "/"?
Jon Nelson wrote:
I've been trying to get this to work with limited results. Here is what I
have currently have in my page:

-----------------snip---------snip------------------------------

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Linuxnotes.net: My LinuxNotes</TITLE>
<link rel="icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
</HEAD><BODY BGCOLOR="white">

-----------------snip---------snip------------------------------

Several things here...
I just tracked all this down when I discovered Safari suddenly generating all kinds of requests for "favicon.ico" in the Apache logs on my test server.

Also, the issue of the URI "format" is server dependent.
W3 as one of their Tips of the day in their HTML validator, recommends that ALL URI's include the hostname and full pathname, not simply making them relative to something.

Second, and most important. Favicon.ico is evidently a Microsoft extension to HTML implemented about 2 years ago in IE 5.0. Other browsers are just now catching on to the idea. (It may actually be part of HTML 4, now, but I don't know.)

The way in which the favicon works is today is very browser dependent. IE 5.0 will look for a file called "favicon.ico" located in your top-level directory, apparently "automatically." Safari apparently does this also. In my case, I inserted the same "shortcut icon" link (it is not case sensitive), and got the icon in the browser location window as expected, but then started seeing these 404 messages for favicon.ico appear.

For what it's worth, the "linuxnotes.net" page above generates a favicon in both the navigation bar and the bookmark in Safari. But does NOT work in IE 5.2 -- both under OS X 10.2.3.

A couple of sources:
http://www.favicon.com/#1-9
A commercial company which will make the ico repository for you (3 different size bit maps);
Their website contains a LOT of explanatory material. Their US site no longer has the ICO creation java script, but their UK site does (www.favicon.uk ????)

http://www.winterdrache.de/freeware/png2ico/favicon.html
         More explanations and png2ico info.

The original(?) Microsoft explanation is here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/Author/dhtml/howto/ShortcutIcon.asp

Google will turn up a bunch of other comments, issues and bugs about the now infamous Favicon.ico.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com