M.Simons on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:27:31 -0500

Re: [PLUG] (OT) DSL and Taxes

On 10 Feb 2003, mike.h wrote:
> I switched to DCA net from DirecTV, main reason: multiple static IP
> addresses. Here's what was on my first invoice, note that it includes
> the purchase of a new ADSL "modem":
>
> 1 each  Verizon self install kit        $219.
> 1 each  Verizon activation fee            60.
> 1 each  Federal Universal Service Fee      4.46
> 1 month Verizon 768/128 ADSL Connection   49.95
> 1 month Federal Universal Service Fee      2.91
>
> Subtotal                                $336.32
> Sales Tax                                 15.31
> Amount Paid                             $351.65

What are you talking about? You say you switched to DCA net, but then list
Verizon charges.

Given, I'm not on DCA net so I don't know what a DCA bill looks like, but
it certainly looks like you're on verizon, not DCA.

And why did you purchase a DSL modem? (self install kit: $219) practically
everybody will give you/loan your a DSL modem for free (based on contract,
if you quit before, say a year, you have to either return the modem or pay
them for it.)

And for that matter, why did you pay an activation fee?? doesn't almost
everybody waive this too?

Two separate FUSFs? hmm I will have to check my phone bill, but your
basic phone bill should have it's own FUSF, dunno about one for DSL.

Did you not previously already have a phone line with Verizon?

(btw, if you stick with verizon, you should be able to get verizon dsl
for $39 or, if you have Local Package ($29 approx) or better, you can get
the DSL for $34.95b -- although with verizon, you don't get the static IPs
(although, supposedly there is or was a static IP trial.. although I have
not been able to get much data on it.)

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Arts Resource Project : PTMaterials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org