Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:27:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Without OS X

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 14:42, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> I would say so - since everything else I want to do I can easily do from
> Windows and/or Linux. And the video I made was a HUGE hit with the family
> (I gave everyone a VideoCD copy and a quicktime copy) and is something
> taht my daughter will have forever - and we'll always have pictures and
> video's of her as baby - which I find more and more valuable as I see her
> grow. Maybe this is sappy, cheesey, or have you- but it was important to
> me.

My puzzlement wasn't based on whether I personally found it worthwhile,
but whether enough people did to bet an ad campaign on it.

>From my perspective, we have had a video camera since my 16 year old
daughter was 2.  I can remember watching the videos twice.  Not that I
don't think they are modern family heirlooms -- I do -- but I don't
revisit them often.  I don't know whether I am typical, or an extreme
example.  Add to the mix the fact that these video tapes play on the TV,
designed and placed for group watching while the QuickTime stuff mostly
plays on the small screen of a computer, designed and placed for
individual use.

This isn't any kind of criticism or judgment; more like a sociological
observation.  While marketing fascinates me, I've often thought how
lousy I'd be at it since I don't get a lot of popular trends, and really
enjoy a lot of stuff that doesn't make the big time.  (Heck, I run a law
practice on Linux, 'nuff said?)