gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:48:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Without OS X

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 03:05:17PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> Sounds reasonable, but I'm sorry to say my one line question about OS X
> has turned this list into a OS X list!  Just remember, OS X wouldn't
> exist without things like OSS and Linux.

Um. Not true, really. OS X is based on code initially from NeXTStep
3.0, which is based on 4.2 BSD. I guess the latter could be called
"OSS", but it sure wasn't at the time...

It's been modified some with bits from FreeBSD, which stems from 386
BSD, which stems from 4.4 BSD. Same goes for these and the OSS
moniker; they all predate it.

GNU/Linux bears a passing resemblence to all of those operating
systems, but it's a totally unrelated code base, especially the
Linux part of it.

As for talking about operating systems other than Linux, I'd rather
not even get into that argument again.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net