William H. Magill on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:09:16 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Verizon DSL modem/bridge

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 03:42 PM, Paul wrote:

Is there a way to communicate with a Westell Wirespeed A90-210015-04 DSL modem/bridge? (They call it a bridge.) I recently had some trouble which seemed to be solved by power cycling the DSL bridge. The problem is that the bridge is in a remote location. My wireless link and router were working fine, so if I could have communicated with the bridge the problem might have been easier to correct.

Westell does have a Windows-only utility. As you might have guessed, I'm not running Windows, at least not a Windows computer attached directly to the bridge. That is a stupid design limitation of the diagnostic software.

If the problem is with the DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Loop Access Module) which is probably what you/they are calling the DSL Bridge, located in the Central Office, there is no way that you can communicate with it. The RBOCs and CLECs jealously guard access to this gear.

And yes, power-cycling or otherwise resetting that module is frequently what is done to "magically" fix your line when "nothing was done" to fix it.

Note also that if the DSLAM is "wedged" you cannot communicate with it from the client side anyway. You can only access it (ie reset it) from the rack-mounted "backplane" in the CO.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com