William H. Magill on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:30:33 -0500

Re: [PLUG] favicon

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 12:38 PM, Jon Nelson wrote:
I went to www.mcgillsociety.org and the favicon showed up in Konquerer's
Location bar. I then looked at the source for the page and saw that you
have the "shortcut icon" code in the body and not the head. I don't know
enough HTML to know if that makes a difference or not. Also I'm starting
wonder if it is something with Apache.

I have it in both places (depending on the page) -- in theory, according to W3, it should be in the head -- but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Unless... the file I have in the top level as favicon.ico is a stopsign (which is a real live old xbm file, and shouldn't work.) It is a stop sign. The circular icon is a blue celtic knot, which is just a classic gif.

The server is Mac OS X running Apache 1.3.27. There are apparently some significant differences between 1.3 and 2.0, I haven't tracked them down yet. Apple includes both, but hasn't switched to 2.0 because of some incompatibility between the old and new versions.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com