William H. Magill on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:49:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Without OS X

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 02:24 PM, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 10:09, W.Chris Shank wrote:
I just used OS X to create a 20 minute video montage for my daughter's
first B-Day. It took me about 2 nites to understand how the software
worked and about 2 nites to actually edit all of the clips and put it
to music. This was something that I ALWAYS wanted to do with Linux or
Windows, but always ran into one problem or another - ie: IEEE1394
didn't work at all, IEEE1394 worked but was flakey, BCast 2000 couldn't
compile, BCast 2000 compiled and installed and could run - but it was
so complicated, I couldn't figure out how to use it, couldn't convert
the AVI files from my digital camera to VideoCD, I could go on.

This is pretty amazing (maybe to me only ;-) ). For a while now, a majority of Apple's advertising seemed to be focused on imovie and iphoto, as if the computer was mostly just a high tech home slide show/home movie editor. Now ipod seems to have joined the mix. All along, I kept thinking, do enough people really want to do this stuff? Is there really sufficient demand for this kind of thing to make it the main focus of your marketing campaign for your entire computer line?

I guess there is.

Especially now that Digital Cameras are the "next big thing" - both still and video. (I've had one of each now for "forever" ?2-3? years.)

iPod (iTunes) existed before iPhoto and iMovie. They were just integrated in the current "iLife" release.

iPod now is only one step removed from a PDA in that iSync deals with the Address Book and Calendar and you can upload them along with your mp3s, and still have space left over for a couple of gig's worth of "backup" files! (It is, after all, only a fire-wire disk.)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com