christophe barbe on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:13:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] iCommune (was Re: Without OS X)

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 04:30:26PM -0500, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> At 11:34 AM -0500 2/7/03, christophe barbe wrote:
> >For those who believe that Apple is now a model of free software
> >friendly company, they should look closer[2].
>
> 	The iCommune issue has NOTHING to do with a "free software
> friendly company" and EVERYTHING to do with Apple's relationship with
> the RIAA and their desire to stay as far away from the "Napster
> debacle" as possible...

Just to make my statement clear. I don't judge iCommune. But the fact
that Apple uses SDK agreement to kill a competitor and/or someone that
interfer in their relationship with the RIAA. This is not the way a
'Free Software Friendly' company would behave.
And by the way, the reborn iCommune will be under GPL.

> >For me the bigger
> >contribution Apple is making to the Free Software is by relying on it
> >for major part of its OS (BSD core, Apache, Samba) and not by
> >contributing to KDE via Safari.
>
> 	I agree completely!   And not only are they using that
> software, but they are returning all their fixes and improvements
> back to the master trees - whether that be for Apache, Samba, CUPS or
> KHTML/KJS.

That's true but they have no choice. They doesn't have the ressources to maintain
their own branches of all these major Free Software and also If they
weren't giving back they would upset too much people.

Christophe

> Leonard
> --

Dogs come when they're called;
cats take a message and get back to you later. --Mary Bly