christophe barbe on Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:21:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OS X vs. Free Software: Take 2

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 11:52:05AM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 10:55:34AM -0500, christophe barbe wrote:
> > Yesterday afternoon I got yes another Mac OS X server experience of
> > 'Just it doesn't work' and though it would be a nice addition to
> > the recent OS X thread.
>
> Christophe, your post reads exactly like the description an
> experienced Windows NT/2k administrator would give of trying to make
> things work under Linux.

I partly agree but Mac OS X is not UNIX but is partly UNIX when Windows
is not UNIX at all.

I don't see how a Mac admin would fix this problem without UNIX
knowledge or without using the Windows approach: a complete reinstall.

> You are not using Linux. Mac OS X is not the same as Linux. You
> should not presume that things are the same, you should read the
> documentation, in whatever format Apple has provided it (which may
> well NOT be Unix man pages... though it seems more likely that
> whoever set this system up neglected to install those).

No the man pages are there (and I can tell you that I am each time
disappointed by their quality compared to the GNU ones but it's not a
because of Apple ;-) ).
Concerning the documentation I have read it and unless I missed the one
which explain the hacks they have done (like xftpd) there is nothing
helpful there. The doc is most of the time a simple (stupid?)
description of the GUI. Is there a doc explaining how thing works behind
the GUI?

Again the problem with Mac OS X server IMHO are:
. the mix between Unix style and Apple style
. the undocummented (even obfuscated) hacks made on Free Sofware.

Christophe

> --
> gabriel rosenkoetter
> gr@eclipsed.net

L'experience, c'est une connerie par jour mais jamais la même.