Arthur S. Alexion on Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:41:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] energy star

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 22:44, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 09:03:01PM -0500, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > When I use KDE/kppp everything is fine because KDE's screen savers
> > prevent the energy star stuff from kicking in.
> >
> > When I use rp3 with Window Maker, a sleeping monitor is accompanied by a
> > disconnected serial modem (and a stalled print job).
> >
> > When I use ifup with Window Maker, a sleeping monitor is accompanied by
> > a disconnected serial modem, . . . but . . . as soon as I "wake up" the
> > monitor by moving the mouse, ifup automatically reconnects.  Not an
> > adequate solution for long downloads, but an interesting convenience for
> > email checking.
>
> This screams "you need to configure apmd properly".
>
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 09:55:03PM -0500, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 21:13, Paul wrote:
> > > Your system may not be configured to monitor activity on the IRQ
> > > handling the modem.
> > Which I assume is configured at the bios level
>
> Yes, if you have a smart enough BIOS to let you control that. But
> your problem really sounds, to me, like apmd getting dfferent
> signals from KDE than it does from Window Maker (it probably gets
> none from the latter). man apmd, man -k apm.

Thanks. Read apm, apmd and apmsleep, and my theory is that it is a bios
setting.  My theory is that the bios suspend is never triggered in kde,
because the screen savers are triggered first, and they provide
sufficient "activity" so that the bios suspend time is never reached.
My setup of Window Maker has no screen savers.

I am going to try to remember to try to fix this the next time I boot.
--
Arthur S. Alexion <arthur@alexion.com>
Arthur S. Alexion LLC