Paul on Wed, 19 Feb 2003 00:10:34 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Incremental Backups to CD-RW

Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:

3drive in 2 days due to a poweroutage during the storm. about 40G lost total and 5G prolly unbacked up and gone for ever. Out of 150G of total spinning disk that is quite a chunk. Seeing as now i can only back up about 1Gig of the data on tape, its just not working out. I can (and have) lose a few mp3s and not cry, but if i lost a customers project, or my tax records... that would suck hard.

Get a good UPS! If only the electronics in the drives are fried, you can still recover the data by using the circuit boards from identical drives.

What about a higher capacity tape drive? How would that compare to a DVD writer?

i change about 200-500MB a day between source, email and other data... really about 300MB of it arguably can be recovered from various opensource cvs servers, but those are a pain to remerge. Since IDE is horribly unreliable arround here (about 12-15 months per IDE Disk) using a 120Gig disk to sync things on is just not cost effective, and there is still the issue of installing and removing a drive once a week...

OK, then using the CD writer for daily backups seems reasonable.

I wouldn't install/remove the backup drive once a week, but you could do it using a drive bay.

Man, if you have so much data that is valuable, why not go SCSI RAID 5?