Ian Reinhart Geiser on Wed, 19 Feb 2003 00:30:32 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Incremental Backups to CD-RW

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 12:04 am, Paul wrote:
> Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> >3drive in 2 days due to a poweroutage during the storm.  about 40G lost
> > total and 5G prolly unbacked up and gone for ever.  Out of 150G of total
> > spinning disk that is quite a chunk.  Seeing as now i can only back up
> > about 1Gig of the data on tape, its just not working out.  I can (and
> > have) lose a few mp3s and not cry, but if i lost a customers project, or
> > my tax records... that would suck hard.
>
> Get a good UPS!  If only the electronics in the drives are fried, you
> can still recover the data by using the circuit boards from identical
> drives.

I do, I have a few, but I have a feeling that it was not loaded correctly.

> What about a higher capacity tape drive?  How would that compare to a
> DVD writer?

DVD is a little cheaper and arguable on speed... unless we start playing with
SCSI3 DLTS and even then, the cost is steap there... a DVDRW is about $300
and media as cheap as $5 a disk, for 4.5G uncompressed.  Where a DLT is about
40G for ~$50-$70 and the drive itself is over $1k...

> >i change about 200-500MB a day between source, email and other data...
> > really about 300MB of it arguably can be recovered from various
> > opensource cvs servers, but those are a pain to remerge.  Since IDE is
> > horribly unreliable arround here (about 12-15 months per IDE Disk) using
> > a 120Gig disk to sync things on is just not cost effective, and there is
> > still the issue of installing and removing a drive once a week...
>
> OK, then using the CD writer for daily backups seems reasonable.
That is what im thinking... now i just need backup software that makes it
easy...  hence the start of the thread ;)

cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser

> I wouldn't install/remove the backup drive once a week, but you could do
> it using a drive bay.
>
> Man, if you have so much data that is valuable, why not go SCSI RAID 5?

- --
- --:Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri@yahoo.com>
- --:Public Key: http://geiseri.myip.org:8080/publickey.txt
- --:Jabber: geiseri@geiseri.myip.org