Adam Turoff on Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:57:12 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OS X Question

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 11:05:47AM -0500, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> At 9:17 AM -0500 2/21/03, W.Chris Shank wrote:
> >it's my home lan - an SMC barricade. It works great until the iBook
> >goes into sleep mode (when battery is disconnected) - i also tested
> >it with the wired ethernet and that will also lose it's IP once it
> >sleeps. the airport still sees the network after waking - it just
> >doesn't get a new IP address. this problem also occurred on a
> >speedstream access point.
>
> 	If you are seeing it with ethernet as well, then it's not
> Airport - it's something much lower level OR it's your DHCP server.
>
> 	What version of Mac OS X are you using?

Yes, it sounds like something very low-level (i.e. not an Airport
hardware/software problem).  I doubt it's the OS, unless it's a
very old version of Mac OS X (pre 10.1).

If your SMB Barricade is giving you problems on both the wired and
wireless ethernet ports, I'd suspect that, not OS X.  I've used OS X
10.1 and 10.2.x for about nine months now, and I've *never* had a
problem like you're describing.  I seriously doubt that there's a
software problem with the OS, and I haven't heard about any os
extensions that would muck with the IOKit on waking to the degree
you've described.

Z.