Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:10:34 -0500

up2date automated on multiple machines [PLUG] The Redhat Free Update Ride is ending

I'm checking this up2date mirror now. I have apt-rpm, but it's not as good
as up2date under RedHat as the packages are not updated as often. (Forget
about the fact that they have less than half the packages in their
repository as debian).

I finally found out how to answer the question that I had asked previously
on plug. How to register once for multiple machines.
I figured this out
yesterday. I would have cracked this quicker had I known it was so easy:

The key file to up2date is /etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid.

This is the default location. However, in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date, you
can change the default location:

systemIdPath[comment]=Location of system id
systemIdPath=/usr/local/etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid

My /usr/local is an nfs mount. I use a script that copies up2date from the
nfs mount to /etc/sysconfig/rhn. The I run (from the script via ssh)
up2date -u --nox. Can update all the machines from one script. Don't even
have to install anything manually on freshly installed machines. And
they'll all be updated.

If anyone has any _technical_ questions regarding this procedure; I'll be
happy to entertain them.

Fred Ollinger