Christopher Shanahan on Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:03:05 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Re: Kernel issues

I do have other systems running RH. Two desktops, one running
RH 7.3 and the other RH 8.0. If I use one of those to recompile
a kernel, with the acpi patch included, will it work for the
laptop--compiled for different hardware?

Much of the reading I've been doing is for hacking anaconda, to
create a new CD with my kernel on it. I'm just not sure if adding
my kernel will affect the CD's install scripts. And I haven't
learned enough about anaconda yet. I also joined the anaconda-devel
list on RH's Website and joined a discussion there with several
other Toshiba Satellite 2435 users, all trying to resolve this issue.
Many have given up, electing to install SuSe 8.1. A few are working
to hack the anaconda install scripts so they/we can use a different
kernel--rolling our own CDs. One gentleman got it to work--almost--
but the install only works in text mode--no GUI.

I think I'm gonna keep trying though. Thank you, and I appreciate
your response.

Chris Shanahan