sean finney on Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:59:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Kernel issues

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 01:10:19PM -0500, Christopher Shanahan wrote:
> But then I'd have to upgrade package by package till I had the
> system I wanted. WOW!

well, believe it or not, there are some distros where this is not
a problem you ever have to experience...

> The only other distro I've tried in the past is Debian. So I gave
> that a try. A network install using v.3.0. With this I had a list
> of problems and ended up with a machine that wouldn't boot Linux
> or WinXP.

did you try debian with the bf24 boot image?  if your problem was
lack of support for a particular device or apm/acpi, the bf24
image might do the trick.  also, there are a good number of other
boot floppy sets available with different kernel options compiled
in (compact, ide-pci, et c.).  if you know exactly what kernel config
options you need, i recommend you take a look on the debian ftp
server in

  ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/

for every boot floppy set there's a kernel-config in the same directory
with the options used to compile that particular kernel.

hth
	sean