David Shaw on Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:01:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] GnuPG 1.2.1 trustdb checks for every pubkey import?

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 11:31:20PM -0500, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:38:51PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> > There is no sane explanation for needing to do a trustdb check with
> > every imported key. If that were going to be necessary, then it
> > shouldn't ever have been modularized out.
>
> It's particularly annoying when you import a key that's only been
> self-signed, but gpg *STILL* spends over a minute rechecking the
> entire trust db.  A month or so ago I saw something on the gpg-users
> list that someone had added a patch to the development version to
> prevent that behavior.

That was me.  However, unless you're running on a very slow computer,
it simply should never take over a minute to check the trustdb.  Even
on my poky laptop, it's done in 3 seconds... and I'm running a
debugging version of GnuPG that does more than the regular one does,
and building the web of trust to depth 7.

Can you tell me how many keys are in your keyring?

Also, what happens if you run:

  gpg --with-colons --list-keys | grep pub | grep :20:

David