Wayne Dawson on Thu, 27 Feb 2003 04:23:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] organizing files on software Raid (SCSI)

At 02:44 PM 2/26/03 -0500, epike@isinet.com wrote:
well if youre ok without recompiling the kernel
(and stick with default kernel)
i'd put /, /boot, /usr and /tmp on IDE because
theyre easy to replace.  That shoudl be more
than enough enough to bring your kernel up
to mount raid.

Actually, I'd like to set up the computer so that if the computer dies, I can put the SCSI interface card in another computer and boot from a floppy to get the server back up. How easy would that be?

i suggets putting /home, /var on your scsi raid.
(where presumably your important data resides)
also instead of one big raid partition why not
divide your 2 scsi disks into md0, md1 , md2..etc.
also consider not partitioning everything at
once, that way if you need more space such as /morespace
you can just hang it onto /dev/md4 ors something.

Yes, I like these ideas. Thank you.

however my suggestion doesnt protect /etc
where a lot of configuration files are located.

I know booting kernel up with raid capability
(root raid) is possible but i havent really
played with it yet (i.e. mounting / in raid).

I am going to give it a shot.

I have found some sources for how to set up to boot from software RAID and how to boot from SCSI, but they don't seem very detailed. I have never recompiled a Linux kernel before - despite having more than 25 years of programming experience!

Anyway, does anybody have pointers to good procedures for recompiling the kernel with support for my SCSI interface card and booting from RAID?

Maybe I should take this a step at a time.
1) Recompile the kernel the way it is now, just to make sure everything is cool.
2) Recompile the kernel with the SCSI driver built in.
3) Recompile the kernel with the raid1 module built in.
4) Reconfig to boot from RAID and make an emergency boot floppy.

Anybody have any comments on this plan?

Thanks,
Wayne