mike.h on Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:15:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] ARGH!!!!!!!!!

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 16:52, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:

> Well the error:1 overruns:1 dropped:1 line wouldn't have anything to do
> with your problem. It sounds as if you have a faulty motherboard. If you
> swapped out the RAM and the HDD, that's pretty much all it could be at
> this point.

If it ain't a software, disk, or memory problem, the MB is the next most
likely culprit. A bad NIC? Though I doubt it's culpable, it's easy
enough to verify.

This assumes that you've eliminated software. I once had a problem with
a Redhat install...

The startup files were configured to boot into run level 5, ie GUI
login, but the video driver or refresh rate was incorrectly set. At
bootup, the monitor would go blank and the keyboard lights would flash.
The system was running, but I could only interact with a blank screen.
Since I'd configured the machine to reject all non-local connections, I
couldn't even log on remotely and change stuff that way. I eventually
just wiped the disk and reinstalled and the machine's worked flawlessly
ever since.

This doesn't exactly match the problem you originally described, but I
mention it because it wasn't the hardware, but my configuration error
when I changed the video card. If you've recently changed some hardware,
it could be a configuration issue.

--
-mike.h

-Winston Churchill