Ziegler, Scott on Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:50:31 -0500

RE: [PLUG] how kernel compiling works

Does this mean that LILO will mount the /boot partition to load the kernel
at boot time?

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin DiViaio [mailto:scatterbrained@usermail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 12:08 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] how kernel compiling works

What I do is (from the kernel source dir):

cp .config ../config

make mrproper (or distclean, they're both the same in this instance.)

make menuconfig (or xconfig. Depends on my mood/whim at the time.)
 I load the config file I previously saved using the load option at the
 bottom of the menu and make whatever changes to the config I want from
 there. If you don't want to make any changes, just copy the file back to
 .config and just run 'make oldconfig'.

At this point, I open 'Makefile' in a text editor and add some extra
information to the EXTRAVERSION variable at the top of the file. All I
usually add is a date/count stamp telling me when I compiled the kernel.
(I know that the kernel keeps this as well, but it does allow me to have
separate compilations of the same kernel version.)

make dep

make clean (Out of habit more than anything. It use to be required.)

make bzImage

make modules

make modules_install

su (to root)

mount /boot
(I generally keep my /boot partition unmounted until I need to change it.)

cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-test
(I already have stubs in my lilo.conf file for this name. You may need to
change your lilo.conf file.) Some will say that you should copy the
System.map file as well. This is really unecessary since the kernel will
rewrite this file at boot time if necessary.

mount /rescue
(Another unmounted partition that I need mounted in order to run lilo.)

lilo

umount /rescue

umount /boot

I generally keep 2 to 3 kernels on my system at all times.

1.. The original installed kernel
2.. The previously 'home grown' of my current running version
3.. my current boot kernel

This is a matter of personal taste. I'm chicken about alot of things so I
like to have fall back options.

On the 27th day of February in the year 2003 you wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:37:48 -0800
> From: Wayne Dawson <jongalt@pinn.net>
> To: Plug@lists.phillylinux.org
> Subject: [PLUG] how kernel compiling works
>
> Jesus F. Christ!  There *has* to be a better way!!!  I just sat here for a

> GD hour answering all those f***ing prompts to recompile the kernel.
>
> I know that recompiling the kernel is no small matter.  But holy shit,
when
> you make bzImage you ought to be able to do all the config of what to
> include in the kernel (and how) by some mass table of info, instead of
> choosing every single thing at a GD prompt!
>
> Ok, my earlier idea of recompiling "as is" clearly doesn't fit with the
way
> the Linux kernel is set up to compile (at least not by the procedure at
> http://www.europe.redhat.com/documentation/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO-2.php3).
> Every time you recompile, you have to pick every f***ing section of
> reconfigurable code at a prompt - that is, for every section of
> reconfigurable code, you have to pick y, n, or m.  That's not 100%
> accurate, since some sections only allow two of the three options.  I
> assume y means "Yes, compile this into the kernel", n means "No, don't
> support this", and m means "allow this to be loaded as a Module".
>
> Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> And somebody *please* tell me if there's a better way available to pick
> what gets compiled in and what doesn't!
>
> Thanks,
> Wayne

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete it.