Kevin Brosius on Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:01:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] how kernel compiling works

Paul wrote:

> Kevin Brosius wrote:
>
> >As others have said...  'make xconfig' is the place to start.  However,
> >your distro should have a config file for the existing kernel.  Starting
> >with that may be better, depending on what you are trying to do.
> >

> I thought "make xconfig" would automatically pick up the original
> configuration unless "make mrproper" was used first, which removes the
> .config file.  If the original .config were removed, then "make
> oldconfig" could be used to regenerate it.  Is that right?  Would this
> make sense?

Well, depends on what you start with... '.config' files are kernel
version specific.  If you don't have one, or you have one that matches
the kernel source you are trying to build, then you place it in the top
level of the kernel source and run one of the make config targets.
Personally, I think 'make xconfig' is easiest to use on both 2.4 and 2.5
kernels, assuming you have the needed libraries.

> make mrproper
> make oldconfig
> make xconfig

I don't use 'make mrproper' on 2.4 or 2.5 kernels.  I didn't think it
was still required.  Note that the present recommendation is not to
change /usr/src/linux, but to build in another tree.  It is expected
that /usr/src/linux/(something include) points to header files for your
installed glibc/libc and should not change with new kernel source.  This
alleviates some of the reason for 'make mrproper'.

'make oldconfig' will import an '.config' file from a different kernel
source version to the present one.  Use it when the .config is from a
different version, or when you are unsure.

--
Kevin Brosius