Paul on Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:18:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] how kernel compiling works

Kevin Brosius wrote:

As others have said... 'make xconfig' is the place to start. However,
your distro should have a config file for the existing kernel. Starting
with that may be better, depending on what you are trying to do.

I thought "make xconfig" would automatically pick up the original configuration unless "make mrproper" was used first, which removes the .config file. If the original .config were removed, then "make oldconfig" could be used to regenerate it. Is that right? Would this make sense?

make mrproper
make oldconfig
make xconfig

(What does "mrproper" stand for anyway? I always think of it as being a person, Mr. Proper, who cleans up and puts everything in order. Kinda strange, but it works for me.)