Martin DiViaio on Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:03:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] how kernel compiling works

[...]

On the 27th day of February in the year 2003 you wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:18:46 -0500
> From: Paul <paul@dpagin.net>
> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] how kernel compiling works
>
> Kevin Brosius wrote:
>
> >As others have said...  'make xconfig' is the place to start.  However,
> >your distro should have a config file for the existing kernel.  Starting
> >with that may be better, depending on what you are trying to do.
> >

> I thought "make xconfig" would automatically pick up the original
> configuration unless "make mrproper" was used first, which removes the
> .config file.  If the original .config were removed, then "make
> oldconfig" could be used to regenerate it.  Is that right?  Would this
> make sense?
>
> make mrproper
> make oldconfig
> make xconfig

You should always run mrproper. Backup .config first.

'make oldconfig' will generate the 'extra' files necessary for the compile
based on what is already in .config - that makes .config sort of
necessary.

When it comes to the many config options (menuconfig, oldconfig, config,
xconfig) the recomendation is to run ONE and no more.

> (What does "mrproper" stand for anyway?  I always think of it as being a
> person, Mr. Proper, who cleans up and puts everything in order.  Kinda
> strange, but it works for me.)

Someone once told me that mrproper (a.k.a. Mr. Proper) is the name of a
cleaning product that is very popular in Finland.