gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:01:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Backup to CD-RW

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 01:32:40PM -0500, Gregson Helledy wrote:
> According to a book I once read, cpio is better than GNU tar.
> I've forgotten the book's reasoning, but I'm using cpio to make
> backups on my dialup gateway/printserver/fileserver.
>
> Without starting a vi/emacs-style war, is there any real advantage
> of one over the other for small (~500MB) backups?

Portability.

The differences between tar file formats are obscure, not things
you're going to encounter on a regular basis.

cpio formats, on the other hand is a scary, scary topic. Just about
every Unix vendor (commercial or otherwise) has their own special
idea of what the file should look like, and they often conflict.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net