Edward M. Corrado on Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:46:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] iBook Linux compatibility

Personally, I haven't found anything unstably with OS X, and I once you
get used to Aqua I found it not to be cumbersome - but to each their
own...

Anyway, I have YellowDog Linux on my (700Mhz) iBook and pretty much
everything I have tried works. I use OS X most of the time, but I do
still use YellowDog pretty often as well. I did a pretty much standard
YellowDog install. The one thing that didn't just work (and I haven't
looked at it at all so it might be an easy fix) was the external monitor
adapter. As far as your specific questions see below:

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, W. Chris Shank wrote:

> Well, at first I was enamored with OS X - but now that I have been using
> for several weeks - I'm finding Aqua to be rather unstably and cumbersome.
> I had Linux running on this but only for a VERY short time (I needed the
> local disk space to handle the movie files I was working with, so I gave
> up the linux   part).  I'm considering putting linux back on - which will
> be major effort to reinstall not only linux but OS X too. Before I do, I'm
> wondering what the REAL compatibilty is like - assuming I will use the
> latest image from YellowDog.
>
> Particularily how is -
>
> -airport support

It just works :-)

> -USB support (plug and play?)

The only thing I have tried so far is a mouse (you need (or at
least I needed) something with more then one button for Linux), but I
plugged it in and it worked fine.

> -FireWire support

Haven't tried.

> -video acceleration

I think it works but I can't say for sure.

> -power management (does it sleep/wake properly?)

Yep. Close the top and it goes to sleep. It seems to take a second or two
longer then I expect to wake up for some reason but I am impatient.

Ed C.