Jeff Abrahamson on Sun, 9 Mar 2003 13:01:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] GnuCash

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 12:32:43PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> I just started playing with GnuCash 1.8.1.
>
> Does anyone have any opinions about GnuCash?

Yes, it's quite good. I've been using 1.6.6 for about a year now, and
I've been quite happy with it. As I've been doing my taxes I've been
drooling a bit over 1.8.1, as it adds a number of useful features that
I've been wanting. (Tax time always brings out these desires for more
powerful accounting software.)

It's a bit of a paradigm shift from quicken, if that's where you're
coming from. I was very glad I did a test switch before switching for
good. (I imported everything to gnucash and played with it, then
tossed it all and did it again. Of course, I kept my data cleaning
scripts and my notes to help me the second time.)

It's unfortunately a bit of a learning curve at first for
non-accountants, but I think it's worth it. For me, it was the one big
thing that was keeping me using a non-linux machine on a regular
basis, so it was a gratifying hurdle to overcome, too.

> Can mutiple users access GnuCash simultaneously, without data corruption?

Yes, you can set it up to use a SQL back end. I haven't done this, but
lots of folks on the gnucash list talk about doing this, so I know
it can be done.

--
 Jeff