Wayne Dawson on Tue, 11 Mar 2003 07:06:04 -0500

[PLUG] "services" under Linux

Hello everyone, I have a question about "services" under Linux, specifically RH8.0. What exactly is a service? I thought perhaps services are always processes that run whenever the system is running, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

In the RH8.0 gui (Gnome) I have an icon called "Start Here". Within that I have one called "Server Settings" and within that "Services". When I open that icon, I get a list of services, and the ones that are checked off (and my understanding of what they do) are:
- anacron - ?
- atd - daemon that runs commands at specified times (related to cron?)
- autofs - something to do with automounting file systems?
- crond - daemon that runs commands at specified times (related to atd?)
- cyrus-imapd - email server
- gpm - ?
- ip6tables - related to ip6 (I think not), or related to iptables (firewall software)?
- ipchains - firewall software?
- iptables - firewall software, an alternative to ipchains?
- keytable - keyboard remapping or crypto related?
- kudzu - ?
- mdmonitor - something to do with RAID?
- microcode_ctl - ?
- netfs - something related to network file systems
- network - something related to network setup
- nfslock - something related to locking files in network file systems
- portmap - something related to port forwarding?
- privoxy - ?
- random - pseudo random number generator
- syslog - service related to keeping logs of system activity
- wine - software that allows Windows executables to run under Linux
- xinetd - daemon that runs multiple netowork related things (some software can run under inetd/xinetd or on its own)

Can anyone tell me what defines a "service" under Linux and where to look to find out for sure what these various services do? And which ones I can turn off?

Thanks,
Wayne