mike.h on Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:33:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] "services" under Linux

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 07:27, Michael Bevilacqua wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 06:57:44AM -0800, Wayne Dawson wrote:
<snip>
> > I thought perhaps services are always processes that run whenever the
> > system is running, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
>
> If setup correctly that is the case.
<snip>
Actually, no it isn't. Some "services" will be started by xinetd when a
connection attempt is made. su to root and run

/sbin/chkconfig --list

to see which are configured.For more use info or see
man 8 inetd
man 5 xinetd.conf

Also some "services" can be run at boot, then terminate and do not stay
resident.(eg. kudzu)

Of course, this begs the question originally asked, "what's a service?"
Perhaps the best answer is that it's a symptom of Redhat's strategic
decision to be as Windows-like as possible, presumably to make the
transition to Linux easier for Windows users. In the NT/2000 world
Microsoft calls them "services" not daemons, so Redhat has followed
suit. But "daemon" has a different meaning, or used to anyway, it meant
a process that ran in the background without user interaction. So, it's
clear that kudzu is a daemon, but not clear why it's a "service". This
exemplifies why slavish imitation of Microsoft can irritate seasoned
Linux/Unix users and just cause additional confusion for the newbe.

In general, I approve of Redhat's initiative with v.8. At least so far
as the desktop is concerned, my experience is that "bluecurve" is more
quickly understood by users used to Windows. There are some things that
Microsoft does quite well, and it would be great to see in Linux, but
some things just don't make sense and this is one example.

--
-mike.h

-Winston Churchill
GnuPG public key: