Craig Brennan on Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:59:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Home Networking Question

I have linksys wireless router with Comcast hi-speed and the range on it is pretty good.  I tested mine (I run knoppix on an IBM Stinkpad and it recognizes my wireless card) by setting up the network in my office and seeing if I could get wireless access in my basement and everything seemed to work fine.

Hope this helps.

Craig Brennan

http://caffeinedout.com/cowd

http://caffeinedout.com/craig/rs.html

 Steven Tomcavage <steven@tomcavage.com> wrote:

I will be moving into South Philadelphia at the end of April. Once I am
moved in, I will be working from home. My work computer will be on the top
floor in an office, and my home computer will most likely be in the
basement level family room, two floors away and at the other end of the
house. My question is, what are the best options for high speed access? I
want to have both computers connected to the internet and possibly to a
home network (but the home network is not essential).

I don't think that using a router and running wires to both computers will
work for me. The house is in pristine condition and I don't want to get
into the mess of putting cables inside the walls. Running cable along the
floor down two staircases obviously won't work for me, either.

So, that leaves the option of a wireless router or multiple IPs. Do
Comcast or Verizon even offer packages with multiple IPs? I priced
Speakeasy and it came up $149.95/month as the cheapest, which is out of my
league. Does anyone have experience using a wireless router between three
stories?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

-Steven Tomcavage

Do you Yahoo!?