Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:22:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] "services" under Linux

> I think the S* are started all right but at shutdown

Yes, the S* are started in the rc# dir that the computer is in. If the
computer goes to rc5, then the S* are started.

> these same S*es are stopped (passed with "stop") argument.
> To disable services I just mv S* to K*.  I dont recall
> seeing a shutdown actually stopping the K*'s--i think
> they are just ignored.

This will disable the services, however, it's not the best way to do it.
As other suggested, use chkconfig. Otherwise, you are in for a lot of work
locating all the rc dirs, among other problems, typos, etc.

>From the RedHat manual:

"The init command first stops all the K symlinks in the directory by
issuing the /etc/rc.d/init.d command stop then it starts the S symlinks by
issuing /etc/rc.d/init.d command start."

Page 59,

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/pdf/rhl-rg-en-80.pdf

Other distros do this similarly, although instead of chkconfig, in debian
one will use update-rc.d.

Best bet is to explore these dirs, but like I said, let the tools make the
changes for you unless you really know what you are doing.

Fred