Jeyes, David (371) on Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:38:11 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Home Networking Question

Title: RE: [PLUG] Home Networking Question

> Paul wrote
>
> I'm amazed by the range of your wireless system.

As am I!

> What is your basement like?  Carpeting?  Finished walls?  Is
> the router
> below ground level?
>
> Being in an apartment, using a wireless router and a PCI card, I find
> that my signal strength is either highly attenuated or very weak to
> begin with.  I tend to think the problem is caused by having the PCI
> card's antenna behind the PC and next to a wall, blocking the
> line-of-sight and the Fresnel zone with metal, furniture, and
> a wall.
> My cantenna solves the signal strength problem, partly by raising the
> antenna to clear obstacles and by focusing the signal.
>
> I've heard that apartments are difficult environments for
> wireless.  It
> seems to be true.  Anyone else have problems in an apartment?

I have a Linksys setup in my apartment, with not as great of results. 20 ft and 2 plaster walls and the signal is weak- generally not even at 50%. But, from what I've heard from a few people, D-Link has much better signal strength.

dj