Jeyes, David (371) on Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:41:05 -0500

RE: [PLUG] PLUG searchable archives

Title: RE: [PLUG] PLUG searchable archives

> gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 08:27:57AM -0500, W.Chris Shank wrote:
> > Fonts are themeable - so it's probably an easy fix.
>
> Words like "themeable" send shudders up the spines of people like
> Jeff and me. (And not just because they're NOT REAL WORDS.)
>
> > Advantage over existing site is that anyone could add a
> news story or
> > start a forum. Using the forum as an adjunct to the mailing
> list would
> > allow it to be searchable and more of historical reference.

I agree wholeheartedly. Plus it would give everyone a chance to reply "RTFA(Archives)," on half of the questions posted.

The best thing, from my perspective is the ability to create forums to discuss things that aren't exactly linux, like wifi or OS X, without separating them from the PLUG community. Or starting massive flame wars about what is OT.

> Those aren't, I don't think, the features you should be touting,
> since the mailing list would be both those things if we had
> someone's mbox sorted through. Ahem.

Why not? If it can be simple and primarily text for you and be neat and appealing to me, then I really think it's a great feature.

> I *really* hate web forums. So if you ask a question there and not
> on the list, you'll never see a response from me. That's a totally
> personal opinion, though.

Can't they have some level of synchronization (like sync the general forum with the mailing list)? Web interfaces just might be a good way to be newbie friendly and I don't feel that a decent UI is bad. (Neither do most users, else we'd have DOS 2k running on corporate desktops). A web interface could just be helpful in building the community (ahem /.) and another way of acting as linux advocates to the community.

> > I though the weblinks, downloads, and FAQ section would be
> useful to
> > some - maybe not.

This is a huge reason that I think that this would be great. If people were more involved in the site, they'd be more apt to contribute to these sections, thus making the sections more useful. . . and so on.

-but nobody asked me. Just my $.02.

dj