gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:22:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] PLUG searchable archives

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:08:18PM -0500, Gregson Helledy wrote:
> I'm gonna stick my neck out here and offer my humble opinion:
> I'm not really big on web formus, either.
>
> I'm no networking expert, but how about news server?
> news.phillylinux.org

That'd be yet another interface to the PLUG mailing list. It'd be
a good idea for people who *really* like their news readers, but
most of the people who are married to the features of a news reader
will either get the same thing out of a web forum (if they use a GUI
newsreader) or out of mutt (if they use a threaded text-based news
reader).

I'd be glad to run an INN server for PLUG (I've got a few machines
running INN already, though for a completely different purpose), and
I *do* know a very little bit about bridging mailing lists and
network news servers, but I'm not sure it solves the same problem(s)
that Chris Shank is trying to solve.

> You could have a few different groups if you wanted, one
> operating as a regular newsgroup (with threading) and
> one containing a "dump" of all of the messages from the
> PLUG mailing list?

In fact, you can have one newsgroup that's both. :^>

> Is this hard to do?

No, but I don't think it's necessary.

It'd be neat... but what utility does it provide we haven't already
got?

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net