gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:26:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Hard Drives Crashing

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 08:35:44PM -0500, Kris Reilly wrote:
> What is stiction?

When you leave old drives off for long enough (which could be a
pretty short time) their metallic parts sieze up with each other.

Chilling (in the freezer, over night) can help get drives back
online that fall to this (shrinks the parts, frees them from each
other... make sure there's NO humidity floating around, obviously;
Ziplocks help).

The long-term solution is just to keep them powered and spinning.

(We've got a few old MetaStor and even older FalconRAID arrays at
work that I've been forbidden from unplugging and moving to storage
because the disks are known to stiction... we don't especially care,
but the eventual eBay buyer probably would.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net