Eugene Smiley on Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:53:07 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Samba almost working

plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org <> wrote:
> I have finally made a serious attempt at getting Samba to work.
> At this point, the Linux machine can "see" the windows machines,
> but not vice versa.  I am using SWAT, Samba 2.2.1a, smbd and nmbd
> are reported as running, and I have set up one share in addition
> to the [homes] section.  Any ideas where I should look for
> problems?

I am running Samba 2.2.7 and the resources I used in getting it to
work came mainly out of /usr/share/doc/samba-2.2.7/docs. You may
need to apply the .reg files depending on the system and the setup
you are attempting. There are lots of good text docs in
docs/textdocs/ including WINNT.txt and WIN95.txt. One thing that
snags the setup is the encryption option. Both sides must be using
the same 'level'. It's all or nothing, and both sides (linux and
Win) must match.

Getting Samba up using anything above SHARE level security is a
bit of a challenge. Start with SHARE level first to be sure that
your setup works. Then build up from there.

I also recommend "Using Samba" from O'Reilly. It explains all of
the different settings.

Eugene