Jeff Abrahamson on Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:21:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] mutt text/* auto-view hack

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 07:09:21AM -0500, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
>   [19 lines, 152 words, 830 characters]  Top characters: etoanrsh
>
> On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 02:09, sean finney wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 11:14:39PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > > words, 141 characters). It's attached, for your amusement. I think
> > > it's cool to know just how many words you wrote me when I read your
> > > email. I'm trying to think of more interesting analyses to do.
> >
> > if you want to go really crazy with it, how about an analysis for word
> > frequency?  you could keep word counts of this list in some kind of
> > giant histogram, and then have a program that tries to guess the
> > sender from the content of his/her message :)
>
> What you've described is naive Bayes. Its in use in programs like
> POPFile and Bogofilter already, bogofilter having built-in hooks into
> mutt currently.

Although, before receiving Sean's mail, I did add the "top eight
characters" header. It's not useful, but it amuses me. Note that the
results of auto-view actions show up in quoted replies.

This has highlighted for me people who don't trim their quoting,
because '>' becomes the most common character.

--
 Jeff