gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:57:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] /etc on a separate partition

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 12:36:52PM -0800, Wayne Dawson wrote:
> Well thanks, but I don't just want to "make more partitions".  The purpose
> is to minimize the effort and time that would be required in various
> failure/recovery scenarios.

Putting /etc on a RAID device will increase, not decrease, the
effort, because whatever tricks you pull now will have to be pulled
again when the OS is upgraded or when a variety of other changes are
made. It's not a win. Don't do it.

As for "reliablity", that's what tape's for.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net