Bob Schwier on Tue, 1 Apr 2003 21:05:14 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Computer History Question

"Common language tapes" may simply be voice tapes reading the information.
Or even worse, genuine baudaut coded tapes like the old ticker tapes used
to use.  Notice that the item said "Bell" transmission lines.
It has been several years that my bills have been from Verizon.
Sounds like city hall has not wasted any time at updating their files.
One wonders if the storage media used can even be translated to more
modern and accessible form.  We had a problem in the government with seven
track tapes and an inability to find a supplier of seven track reel to
reel machines.
bs