Edward M. Corrado on Wed, 2 Apr 2003 08:24:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Computer History Question

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Bob Schwier wrote:

> "Common language tapes" may simply be voice tapes reading the information.
> Or even worse, genuine baudaut coded tapes like the old ticker tapes used
> to use.  Notice that the item said "Bell" transmission lines.
> It has been several years that my bills have been from Verizon.
> Sounds like city hall has not wasted any time at updating their files.
> One wonders if the storage media used can even be translated to more
> modern and accessible form.  We had a problem in the government with seven
> track tapes and an inability to find a supplier of seven track reel to
> reel machines.
> bs

When I was working at Rutgers, a NJ state agncy called trying to find a
punch reader because they needed some old records. Apparently they saved
the records but forgot to save something to read them with :-).

Ed C.